There’s by no means been a greater time to embrace sustainable residing. It’s good for the setting and, in some instances, financially helpful to undertake environmentally pleasant merchandise and techniques.
In the case of your roof, there are some nice sustainable roofing choices on the market, however not all are created equal—and there are many myths and dangerous data on the market, too. Hold studying to get a greater thought of what to anticipate for energy-efficient roofing in Colorado.
Recyclable Roofing Supplies
As an increasing number of householders turn into conscious of the environmental affect of their roofing decisions, there’s a rising demand for recyclable and eco-friendly roofing options. Nonetheless, many householders prioritize sturdiness and value over sustainability. And with the quantity of hail and powerful winds we get in Colorado, that’s comprehensible! Thankfully, there are a variety of nice choices accessible, each by way of supplies and set up strategies. Nevertheless it’s potential to decide on a sustainable choice that additionally checks these bins.
Asphalt shingles: Asphalt shingles are created from a mixture of asphalt, fiberglass, and recycled supplies, corresponding to paper and talc. They’re a comparatively inexpensive and easy-to-install choice, and in some states they are often recycled on the finish of their lifespan.
Metallic (aluminum, metal, zinc, and copper) roofs: Metallic roofs are created from quite a lot of supplies, together with metal, aluminum, and copper. They’re extremely sturdy and energy-efficient, and they are often recycled on the finish of their lifespan.
Tile roofs: Tile roofs are created from clay, concrete, or slate. They’re very sturdy and might have an extended lifespan, making them a sustainable alternative. Nonetheless, they aren’t as recyclable as different supplies.
Renewable roofing supplies: ethically sourced wooden shakes from wholesome, managed forests could be a lovely roofing choice. Nonetheless, they aren’t fire-resistant or as vitality environment friendly as steel or asphalt roofs.
Different Sustainable Roofing Choices
Along with selecting recyclable roofing supplies, there are additionally quite a lot of eco-friendly roofing set up strategies that may decrease your environmental affect of a brand new roof.
White roofs: white in coloration to replicate the solar’s rays and decrease cooling prices.
EPDM rubber roofs: created from artificial rubber, are light-weight and straightforward to put in, and they are often recycled on the finish of their lifespan.
Inexperienced roofs: additionally known as a “residing roof” as a result of it’s manufactured from vegetation that cut back moisture runoff, cut back warmth, and assist clear the air. Standard vegetation choices for Colorado embrace sedum, grasses, shrubs, vines and native flowers.
Clay tiles: created from pure clay and are a sturdy and long-lasting roofing materials. They’re additionally fire-resistant and will help enhance the insulation of your house.
There’s additionally a brand new kind of sustainable roofing shingle from Malarkey that’s designed to assist cut back smog via the addition of granules that use daylight to assist clear the air. J&Okay Roofing is proud to be an skilled 3M smog-reducing roof specialist.
Present Points with Recycling Asphalt Shingles in Colorado
However are asphalt shingles recyclable in Colorado? There’s a false impression that asphalt shingles are recyclable in Colorado. The Colorado Division of Public Well being and Setting adopted a coverage in September 2015 stating that asphalt roofing shingles usually are not thought-about a recyclable materials in Colorado. The coverage was adopted as a result of points with a number of recycling areas that accepted singles for recycling, after which deserted them.
Why Roofing Firms and Producers are Centered on Advancing Methods to Recycle Asphalt Shingles
- Environmental considerations: Asphalt shingles are a significant supply of waste in landfills. In the USA, an estimated 15 million tons of asphalt shingles are disposed of in landfills annually. They take up a whole lot of house in landfills, and this waste can launch dangerous pollution into the setting.
- Sustainability: Roofing corporations are more and more targeted on sustainability. By recycling asphalt shingles, they will cut back their environmental affect and assist to create a extra sustainable future.
- Financial advantages: Recycling asphalt shingles will also be economically helpful for roofing corporations. By recycling shingles, they will cut back their prices for uncooked supplies and disposal. They will additionally create new markets for recycled shingles, corresponding to within the asphalt pavement business.
- Authorities Assist: Many state and native governments have enacted insurance policies that assist asphalt shingle recycling. These insurance policies can embrace issues like offering monetary incentives for recycling or requiring that recycled asphalt be integrated into paving supplies.
- Business assist: The roofing business has additionally been supportive of asphalt shingle recycling. A number of main roofing producers, corresponding to Owens Corning, GAF, IKO, CertainTeed and Malarkey, have developed new manufacturing lifecycles and processes that promote recycling.
Advantages of Recycling Asphalt Shingles
Because of these elements, roofing producers are more and more investing in analysis and growth to search out new methods to recycle asphalt shingles. Listed here are a few of the advantages of recycling asphalt shingles:
- Reduces landfill waste: Recycling asphalt shingles helps to scale back the quantity of waste that goes to landfills. That is necessary as a result of landfills are a significant supply of environmental air pollution.
- Creates new markets for recycled supplies: Recycling asphalt shingles creates new markets for recycled supplies. This will help to scale back the demand for virgin supplies and promote a extra sustainable economic system.
- Saves vitality and uncooked supplies: Recycling asphalt shingles saves vitality. It’s because it takes much less vitality to recycle supplies than to supply new supplies from uncooked supplies.
- Protects the setting: Recycling asphalt shingles helps to guard the setting. It’s because it reduces the discharge of pollution into the air and water.
Roofing Manufacturing is Altering
Many roofing producers are specializing in sustainable roofing as a precedence. Check out what a few of the main roofing producers are engaged on.
- Method: Owens Corning is growing a brand new course of to recycle asphalt shingles into new roofing supplies. The method entails breaking down the shingles into their uncooked supplies, which may then be used to make new shingles, roofing underlayment, or different merchandise.
- Advantages: The brand new course of reduces the quantity of virgin supplies wanted to supply new shingles, and helps to scale back the quantity of asphalt shingles that find yourself in landfills. It may additionally assist to create new markets for recycled asphalt shingles.
- Method: Malarkey is utilizing upcycled rubber and plastic polymers to create sturdy and eco-friendly asphalt shingles. The corporate will get the upcycled rubbers and plastics from the landfill (ex., recycled tires) and incorporates them into their shingles, lowering landfill wastes.
- Advantages: Malarkey’s shingles are made with recycled supplies, so they’re extra sustainable than conventional asphalt shingles. They’re additionally extra sturdy, to allow them to last more on roofs.
- Method: GAF is working to develop a course of to recycle asphalt shingles into new roofing merchandise, corresponding to roofing granules. The corporate is at present testing the method in a pilot plant.
- Advantages: If profitable, GAF’s course of may assist to scale back the quantity of asphalt shingles that find yourself in landfills. It may additionally assist to create new markets for recycled asphalt shingles.
- Method: IKO is working to develop a course of to recycle asphalt shingles into asphalt pavement. The corporate is at present testing the method in a pilot plant.
- Advantages: If profitable, IKO’s course of may assist to scale back the quantity of asphalt shingles that find yourself in landfills. It may additionally assist to create new markets for recycled asphalt shingles.
- Method: CertainTeed is growing a course of that makes use of a mixture of warmth and mechanical grinding to interrupt down asphalt shingles into their particular person elements. These elements can then be reused to make new shingles or different merchandise.
- Advantages: The advantages of this method embrace the truth that it’s comparatively easy and environment friendly. It additionally produces a high-quality recycled materials that can be utilized to make new merchandise. This method is the one one which makes use of a mixture of warmth and mechanical grinding.
Work With an Skilled Roofing Contractor
We’re excited concerning the progress in asphalt shingle recycling. In the event you’re prepared so as to add a recyclable roofing materials to your house to assist decrease your carbon footprint, be sure to do your analysis and rent a roofing firm with the mandatory expertise to do the job appropriately.
Our group is skilled and authorized to work with sustainable and renewable roofing supplies. Get in contact with us at present in case you’re within the Denver Metro, Entrance Vary, Colorado Springs, or Northern Colorado areas. Name 303-425-7531 or contact us on-line.